Our disabled and older customers are invited to take advantage of free personalized travel training for local and CommuterLink fixed-route bus service. You'll learn how to find the bus, how to pay your fare, and much more.
Welcome to the Riverside Transit Agency's free Travel Training Program. Our program promotes greater independence and the confidence to travel anywhere RTA buses go, anytime they operate. As an independent traveler, you can rely less on family and friends for transportation and have the freedom to plan your trips according to your own schedule.
All RTA buses are easily accessible to persons with disabilities and older adults. Ramps and lifts are available on all vehicles for your convenience. RTA has more than 3,200 bus stops at shopping malls, neighborhoods, colleges, transit centers, and entertainment and employment centers across western Riverside County and beyond.
With the confidence and skills to travel independently, you are on your way to enjoying the benefits of riding with RTA. Welcome aboard!
TRAVEL TRAINING VIDEO
VIDEO DE ENTRENAMIENTO DE VIAJES
WHAT IS TRAVEL TRAINING?
The RTA Travel Training program is for people with disabilities and older adults who want to learn to travel safely and independently using public transportation. Travel training is a FREE self-paced process where an individual, regardless of ability or age, can learn to ride RTA's fixed-route system.
WHO SHOULD PARTICIPATE?
Individuals with physical, cognitive and visual disabilities and older adults who wish to gain travel independence and confidence by familiarizing themselves with RTA's bus system.
- Participants experience an increased sense of confidence and self-reliance as a result of learning to travel independently.
- Parents and care providers can benefit, too. Providing a child or aging parent with the knowledge to use RTA buses provides independence, saves time and lowers expenses.
- The community benefits as well. With a newfound ability to travel with RTA, individuals will be able to visit family and friends, shop more often, and participate in recreational activities that enhance their quality of life.
WHERE CAN I LEARN TO TRAVEL?
Anywhere! You can learn how to go to your work, school, senior center, church, a friend's house, your doctor's office or the mall. You can even go to the beach.
HOW IS TRAVEL TRAINING ACCOMPLISHED?
Your personal travel trainer will customize the learning experience to meet your individual needs. The step-by-step process emphasizes safety, while building confidence and travel skills. Travel training involves a series of steps from initial one-on-one instructor assistance to gradual empowerment of the individual, and finally to confident, independent travel.
Individuals who need assistance to learn the public transportation system can receive one or both of the following types of travel training:
- Travel Training for Seniors. More than half of all non-drivers age 65 and older stay at home and often become isolated largely because transportation options are limited, particularly in rural and smaller communities. That's why RTA is proud to offer mobility training that puts people in control of their schedule, their time and their life. Mobility training allows seniors to rely less on others for their trips, increase confidence and independence, and provide freedom to go where they want, when they want. As part of the training, seniors learn how to navigate RTA's fixed-route system and master the skills necessary to ensure an enjoyable trip. Whether it's a visit with family and friends, a dinner date, or a trip to the shopping center, RTA's fixed-route service is affordable, easy to use, and best of all, it's available without an appointment.
- Travel Training for People with Disabilities. This type of training can be long-term and comprehensive. The instruction is designed to teach customers with disabilities how to travel safely and independently on RTA's fixed-route buses. The goal of the program is to train individuals with disabilities to travel independently to a regularly visited destination and back. Specially trained personnel provide the travel training on a one-to-one basis. Customers learn travel skills while following a particular route and are taught the safest, most direct route. The training provides the skills required for safe and independent travel.
WHO ARE THE INSTRUCTORS?
Travel Training instructors are skilled in assisting seniors or persons with physical or developmental disabilities. Instructors assist trainees in overcoming barriers and building confidence so they can use the least restrictive mode of public transportation to the fullest extent possible.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
Time spent on training is based on the individual's need. Instructors will spend as much time as necessary to ensure each person is comfortable travelling on their own.
WHAT TYPE OF SKILLS ARE LEARNED?
You will learn travel skills including, but not limited to:
- Identifying transportation options
- Reading maps and schedules
- Planning the trip
- Buying and using fare media
- Identifying the appropriate bus to ride
- Boarding, riding, and exiting the buses
- Crossing the street
- Maintaining appropriate behavior
- Learning safety skills
- Handling unexpected situations or problems
- Planning for emergencies
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF RIDING THE BUS?
- No need to make advance reservations
- Greater independence and same-day travel
- RTA buses get you where you need to go
- Pleasant, safe travel
- Enhanced mobility options
- Easy and accessible travel
- Affordable rates
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Contact RTA at (951) 565-5002 to start the process. An RTA-appointed travel trainer will set up an appointment to meet with you to discuss your travel skills and goals.